Do you like scrambled eggs with tomatoes? You will surely like this recipe. Today I'm going to show you how to prepare menemen, the Turkish cousin of shakshouka, in no time. It will be fast and tasty!
It's six in the morning. I just woke up, I'm drinking coffee right now and I'm about to show you how to make menemen - a very nice alternative to shakshouka. You only need four ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen!
Watch the video with the recipe for menemen
Ingredients for menemen
Do you want to prepare a delicious breakfast for two? To make this dish you will need:
The base of our dish is paprika - green or red. Tomatoes can be canned, but in this recipe I will show you my latest discovery - how to make canned tomatoes very easily using normal tomatoes. If you find good tomatoes, they will be even tastier than those from a can, and you can prepare them literally in a few seconds.
For menemen for two people, 4 eggs are enough. The original recipe also includes Turkish cheese - it's a brine cheese similar to feta. However, you can use any cheese you have at home, for me it is parmesan.
Interestingly, even in my favorite Turkish restaurant in Krakow, there are two menemen to choose from - one with soft cheese, in the style of Italian mozzarella, and the other with hard à la Parmesan cheese.
Fry everything in olive oil or clarified butter, depending on what you have at home.
How to make menemen - preparation
- First, prepare the peppers. Cut it in half, remove the seeds, if any, and dice it. Then fry it in olive oil.
- The next step is tomatoes. When it comes to homemade canned tomatoes, a regular grater with large holes is sufficient. Cut the tomatoes in half and grate them by the skin. There are techniques that you have to burn them first and remove the skin - no sense. You can easily wipe them off right away, even if you mess up a bit. But it will be much faster.
- We heat up the pan. If you count calories, a nice way is to count fats by pouring them on a spoon. Two tablespoons of olive oil are enough for our dish. Fry the peppers on it.
- It is enough to fry the pepper for 2-3 minutes and you can add our tomatoes. Now you have to wait a while for the water to evaporate from them.
- When the tomato base thickens, add the eggs and mix. We're trying not to break the yolks yet. The protein slowly curdles and we get delicious, colorful scrambled eggs.
- Of course, there is also a classic, i.e. a solid portion of salt, as with any scrambled eggs.
- When the protein sets, at the end we break the yolks and add two or three solid pinches of cheese.
And that's it, our menemen is ready. Remember not to make it too long. It should resemble your favorite scrambled eggs. I, for example, don't like it cut too much.
Menemen ready, medium cut, just the way I like it. Just a little more leavened bread and we have a nice breakfast for two. Of course, you can also serve them in the classic way, i.e. with plain bread. Bon Appetit!
The whole thing took 16 minutes, but it can be done faster (without filming!).
And if you want more content like this, please follow this channel and leave a thumbs up. For me it will be information to record more similar materials. You can do it by eating your menemen!