Matcha is ground Japanese green tea. It is prepared in a special way to preserve as much nutritional value as possible. That is why it is considered the healthiest green tea.
How to prepare matcha (brew)?
Matcha does not dissolve in water. Therefore, we need to prepare a slurry similar to frothed milk. You will need the appropriate equipment for this:
- Chasen gives the best results - with a special whisk to prepare the mahs. If you are going to drink matcha regularly, it is worth buying this Japanese whisk.
- The next solution is to use a milk frother - for example, one for a battery from IKEA.
- A manual whisk gives much worse results. A fork or a spoon does not work at all.
The preparation of matcha makes it much easier to sift the matcha through a strainer, e.g. from a teapot. Thanks to this, matcha will foam much faster and there will be no lumps in it. I put such a strainer on the cup and squeeze the matcha with a spoon, it literally takes a few seconds and it helps a lot.
- Sprinkle 1 heaped teaspoon of matcha into a cup (about 1.5 g).
- Add about 100ml of water at a temperature of about 70-80 degrees. Do not use boiling water.
- Beat matcha with chasen or milk whisk. When using a chasen, the Z-shaped movement gives the best results. We move back and forth as if we were marking the texts with a pencil eraser. Chasen does not work with circular movements similar to mixing.
- When the matcha is compacted and foam is visible, add the rest of the water.
It's best to drink the matcha within 15-20 minutes before the matcha sinks to the bottom. At the end, it is a good idea to stir the cup so that the matcha mixes again.
If you use a chasen, low and quite wide cups will be best, in a narrow cup it is difficult to make the correct movement with a chasen.
Recipe for matcha
- 1 teaspoon of matcha (about 1.5 grams)
- 200 ml of water at a maximum temperature of 80 degrees
Which matche should I choose?
Matcha should come from Japan and be certified as an organic farming product. You will recognize a good matcha by its color. The worst varieties usually come from China and are yellowish in color. Good matcha is light green in color and ground into a fluffy powder.
You can find organic matcha tea from Japan in our online store.
Where to buy wave in stationary in Krakow
You can also get Matcha in our health food store in Krakow
Address - access
Matcha instead of coffee or yerba mate
Matcha contains about 3% caffeine, which is why it is an interesting alternative to yerba mat and coffee.