More and more people are looking for a variation in their daily diet. Caring for health and a balanced diet, we care about both the taste of the dishes and the visuals - it's nice when the meal looks interesting on the plate. We should not forget that we "eat with our eyes" first. In addition, when preparing dishes for household members, it is pleasant to surprise guests with something new, exotic and unique, and also tasty and aromatic. So if you are bored with classic pork chops with cabbage and potatoes, minced pork chops, bigos and sour rye soup, we recommend quinoa.
For those looking for new, healthy flavors, we present quinoa also known as Quinoa. We have written about its qualities many times - even here: Quinoa for beginners . In addition to presenting the plant itself and its nutritional values, we provide three recipes for its preparation.
What is quinoa?
It is an annual plant belonging to the quinoa or gray family, the same as the well-known spinach or beetroot. Quinoa has been known to mankind for thousands of years . It was the staple of the South American Indian diet - in the Inca country, where it replaced corn. It has been cultivated for five thousand years in Latin America.
Why is it worth eating Quinoa?
Quinoa fruit contains forty-eight percent starch, eighteen percent protein, four to nine percent unsaturated fatty acids, and antioxidants. It is also a rich source of calcium, phosphorus, iron, vitamins E and B, and mineral salts . Some varieties also contain saponins, which are bitter in taste and require rinsing prior to preparation. Quinoa is characterized by a low glycemic index, therefore it is an ideal food base for diabetics and people on a slimming diet. Quinoa is also a fantastic supplement to the diet of breastfeeding women, as it supports the lactation process.
Quinoa - recipes:
- Preparation time 30 minutes
Serves for two
- 200 grams of white quinoa
- 100 grams of young nettle
- 100 grams of barley porridge
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 100 grams of smoked bacon
- We start preparing the dish by dicing the bacon and frying it crispy. We add chopped garlic.
- After a short frying, add the washed and chopped quinoa and nettle (only leaves). Everything should be fried together until the greens are soft - it is supposed to sound like a wilted one.
- At the same time, cook the groats until it is soft.
- Then combine the whole and mix it, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. The pipe should be served warm.
Tabula with quinoa
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
Serving for four
- 500 ml of water
- a glass of quinoa
- a pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 tomatoes, finely sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced into small pieces
- 2 chopped chives bunches
- 2 grated carrots
- 1 cup of chopped parsley
- Pour quinna and a pinch of salt into boiling water, simmering it over low heat for a quarter of an hour.
- Then the quinoa should be cooled down and loosened with a fork. To save time during these activities, mix olive oil, sea salt, lemon juice, tomato, cucumber, carrot and parsley in a large bowl.
- All this is then combined with cooled quinoa and can be eaten.
- Ready-made delicious dish from a combination of quinoa with vegetables!
Quinoa with watermelon and dark chocolate
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Very easy
Serves for two
- ½ kilogram of watermelon, peeled with seeds removed
- 30 grams of dark chocolate
- 30 grams of unsalted roasted almonds
- 400 grams of skim yogurt
- 7 tablespoons of cooked quinoa
- Cut the watermelon into not very small cubes. Grate the chocolate into fine chips.
- Put a third of the watermelon, chocolate and almonds into the two previously prepared dishes (for example, decorative glasses).
- Pour everything with yogurt - up to a third of the dish. Repeat the procedure, taking care not to fill the glass to the brim the second time.
- Finally, put the rest of the watermelon, chocolate and almonds and decorate with quinoa seeds.
- The delicious quinoa dessert is ready! It is worth serving it with a long dessert spoon.
Also check out other winning recipes: