Quinoa is more and more often found in our kitchens. See how to prepare it to make it tasty and loose. Quinoa prepared in this way is perfect as an addition to a dinner or a salad.
See the video on how to cook quinoa
Should you rinse the quinoa?
A lot of people believe that you should rinse the quinoa before preparing it. In my opinion, it is usually superfluous. Most quinoa is rinsed after harvest and does not need to be rinsed again at home. Anyway, it's very easy to check. Rinse your quinoa under running water and it will see if it foams. If you don't see foam similar to soap or washing-up liquid, it means that the quinoa has already been rinsed out. When there is foam, rinse the quinoa until the foam is gone. Otherwise it may taste bitter. Quinoa is covered with a layer of saponins, it is a natural foaming substance.
How to prepare quinoa?
- Heat the pan with a tablespoon of olive oil
- Measure out how much quinoa you need and prepare twice as much water. For example, 1 cup of quinoa equals 2 cups of water
- Sprinkle the quinoa and roast for 2 minutes, until there are white spots on the grains and you will feel a slight nutty smell
- Pour water, mix thoroughly until bring the water to a boil
- Reduce the power of the burner to the minimum just to keep the water gently boiling and cover the pot
- Set the timer for 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, turn off the burner and leave it covered for 5 minutes
Recipe for quinoa
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 glasses of water
- 1 pinch of Himalayan salt